Friday, October 14, 2005

More damn splinters!

What is it about me with splinters?? I simply can't seem to get away from those damn things lately! Here's the story:

I was trying my hand at propagating plants again this past sunday as I saw one of the bird's nest fern has kinda died down & grown into 4. I 'skillfully' cut the thing in half & successfully split it into 2 plants for 2 pots. Then I saw the lush growth of spores at the underside of leaves of the bigger bird's next, so I thought I'd do spore-propagating too. I mean, I've read it in books, so how hard can that be. Proved to be a painful lesson, & underline painful pls. As I proceeded to move the big pot of bird's next out from the corner so I could wipe some spores off, naturally a pot of cactus with giant spikes the size of toothpicks fell onto my hand. Despite their giant size, some of the mini titbits of the spikes broke off & got stuck in my hands. I managed to pry 3 of them out myself which required some cutting of my own skin (ouch No.2). But still 2 got wedged under my skin & tried & I tried, even until the wee small hours of 1am & still couldn't get them out. So, seeing that I needed to drive into uni for a briefing the following (monday) morning I thought i'd stop by the doctor's the have them taken out. While only a short wait until I got to go into the dr's office, she decided that I needed anesthetic on my thumb before butchering me open & get them splinters out! Not having anything against needles or injecting chemicals into my body I agreed. So out came the needle, which btw is not the smallest needles you can find (again, size of toothpicks), filled with anesthetic & she jabbed the thing into, not once but twice on either side of my right thumb! Now, for those who know the nerve system well (& I do 'cos I'm usually a nervous wreck :P) finger tips are bloody sensitive parts of our bodies. Having toothpick-size needles jabbed into them are no walk in the park. Still contemplating if the excruciating pain was worth having those splinters removed, which had by then made my thumb rather sore & swollen. Anyhow, as the anesthetics took effect, the 2 remaining splinters were cut out & removed. Just as the 2nd 1 was being removed, I guess either the anesthetic was starting to take full effects, or from lack of sleep, or on the unlikely situation (as the dr had suggested) that I don't do well with the sight of blood (hello, I cut my thumb myself just to get splinters out!!), I fainted for a couple of minutes. Lucky I was resting my hand on the bed anyway so I just moved smoothly on it & slept it off while they cleaned & bandaged my thumb into a ball of white. A quick stop at the dr's thus turned into an hr & a 1/2 drama. I was going to be given a tatitis shot or whatever it was that she ws going to jab into me but the dr suggested that the next day might be a better option. So I went back on tues morning & had the shot. I was warned that it would hurt a bit. While the jabbing in didn't really hurt, my right arm has been sore & feels kinda bruisy since. Great start to the wk & while the situations didn't deteriorate, it didn't improve either. At least parents are back & I don't have to be cooking & cleaning & etc etc etc. Might be a good time to write that chapter that I said I would do a couple of wks ago. Speaking of which,,,

Ooh, cricket's on!

No comments: