Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Working marathon

It's Day 2 of my marathon working stint. Here's how it goes:

It's 1st yr field trip wkend and because there are only 4 tutors this yr instead of last yr's 5 ot 6, all have to be on hand for both days of the day-long field trip. Normally I don't mind the 1st yr field trip at all as it's pretty easy to do & it's also kinda fun, but having to come all the way to uni by 8:30 in the morning for BOTH Saturday and Sunday, now that's a downer. At least traffic at that time of the day wouldn't be heavy at all so that's a bit of a relief I guess. Also, no AFL finals to watch this wkend as the Swans won a thriller against West Coast last Sat nite & we move straight to next wkend's prelim. Am contemplating going to Telstra again for the match. Will have to see if others are willing.

On top of the 1st yr field trip this coming wkend, I'm also starting the 3rd yr tutorials tomorrow (wednesday). Big Kev finally decided that he doesn't want to do them himself so I am left with the 4-hr wkly tuts. Luckily most of them are only online discussions so I don't have to come in for them except for the intro workshop tomorrow. With that slated into my usual sleep-in Wednesdays, that will string my working marathon to 12 days straight, starting yestreday with tutorial briefings, followed by the 4 hrs of tut today, & tomorrow, 2 days at WESTIR (thurs & fri), 2 days of field trip (whole wkend), back again for field trip debrief & workshop briefing monday, 4 hrs of workshop on tues, 4 hrs online tut next Wednesday, before finishing off with 2 more days at WESTIR at the end of next wk. And I only have to be re-writing chapters on top of this schedule!! In anycase, at least I'd have $$ coming in to recoup the mass spendings that I've been having. Queen & ABBA back catalogue, approximately $500; 3 x Freddie Mercury biographies, another $100; return tickets to HK, $1,000; flight-hotel package to Taipei, approimately $500. Am also looking at options of travelling to Shanghai, & maybe even throwing Beijing in. And don't forget the up-coming Wedding #2 in a little over a fortnight's time. Still have yet to go look at the registry after a whole month of sitting on the invitation.

On a sad note, 1 of my swordtail died last nite. I thought it was preggers as it looked big, so I moved it (along with another 1 which IS definitely preggers) into the birthing enclosure. But a closer look late last nite saw that it (navy blue) was actually bloated. A quick reference to my fishy guide revealed that it had some sort of quick-setting bacteria with no cure. Scales were dropping off, & by this morning it was dead. Unfortunately the navy blues had never really breed successfully so I'm only left with the male & a rather pale, bronzy looking 1.5" long fry from its previous birthing. At least the reds are still shitting them out like there's no tomorrow. No blue replacement
is planned as the TV-quarium is really running out of room to hold everyone in. Be on the look out though as I'd be doing late nitely patrols to try & capture the red birthing on video this time.

No comments: