Sunday, February 11, 2007

Good night out, good work-out

The made-up holiday of Valentine's Day is coming up yet again which means that Robson's birthday is also near. This year we went to a favorite haunt of ours - the Heritage Belgian Beer Cafe down at the Rocks - this past friday. It was a great night out as I decided not to do anything during the day either except clean up bits and pieces & clear out some stuff from my hard disc to DVDs. I bus-ed in early to the city to have a bit of a walk around, window-shopped at the Rocks & took some photos (which I still haven't downloaded onto my laptop...). The beer, food & company were al very good, & we stuck around for 5 hours! Well, I stuck around about 5 hours. Some stayed on after I'd left to catch my bus home at 11:30.

The following day it was time for a good work out. Physical work out. I've been planning this for months and now it's finally the right time. The trellis that my
passionfruit plant has been leaning on for the last few yrs is/was all brittle & keeps falling over, so yesterday morning (after sleeping in, naturally) I spent a couple of hours collecting the remaining fruits & chopping the whole plant back to its barest. A quick stop for lunch, then it was building the new metal arches that it now climbs over, forking out compost, sugarcane mulching, & some power composting (lawn-mower over the passionfruit vines that I chopped down, pressed down by a heavy layer of chicken shit). I was thoroughly soaked through halfway through that work out (we're unseasonably humid at the moment). Now it's looking all bare & naked. Hopefully it'll fruit again at the end of the year (1 vines produces about 100 fruits a season, which is more than we can handle in this household. I've had to resolve to making passionfruit muffins & cookies before they spoil!). Still no flowers on my guava trees though...

Chinese New Year dinners this coming friday & saturday.

No comments: