Sunday, July 29, 2007

National Tree Day

Today was Natioanl Tree Day. I've only 'officially' participated once some years ago. It wasn't that big a deal, just a few trees lying around with a couple of (what I assume to be) volunteers waiting for participants to come & plant them. I haven't driven pass that particular stretch of road much lately so I have no idea if that/those tree(s) are still there or not. Anyways, I digress. For this year, I just planted out some of what I already have at home into the ground. Since we lopped down the 2 dead/dying eucalyptus some months ago, there are gaps in our backyard that just makes it look kinda weird. So this yr I planted out one of the yuccas that got damaged during the lopping out front & in its old spot (the yucca basically snapped into 2 detached pieces that have since been potted up in plastic pots & rooted. I don't think there anything of the yucca is left in its originaly site) I planted out some of my chestnut saplings. Chestnuts are supposed to grow to quite big (10m I think) & I need them to be at that spot & block out the setting sun (if they survive long enought o be that big. They're only, like, a foot high or so).

Meanwhile, have refitted my tv-quarium & will go & buy some hardier specimens tomorrow. So far I have 3 yabbies in mind. Will find some cheapo goldfish to fill in the gaps later.

No comments: