Sunday, September 23, 2007

Strange way to dragon boat

It was the Dragon Boat World Championship at the Penrith Regatta Centre & I was invited to go along & cheer on by Becks. I happily agreed since (1) I've never watched a dragon boat race live, and (2) I've never been to the Penrith Regatta Centre. 2 new birds in 1 stone, fantastique! It was slo free bar the parking! Was prepared early & baked a whole bunch of food to bring alone & feed the hungry. What I wasn't prepared for was the overcast & cool day. It's been mighty fine & warm up until that end of this past wk so it really was a bit of a shock to the system. What was even a bigger shock to the system was the fact that the majority of the competitors & spectators at the World Champs (yesterday at least) were not Chinese! I've been brought up (by TV) with the idea that dragon boats are paddled by Chinese-men & consumed (as ini 'watched') by Chinese-men. The abundance of non-Chiinese ppl, particularly White ppl, at the World Champs was a bit different. No good or bad, just different. A lot of them must be ring-ins from other paddling/rowing sports 'cos Anne who came up to the mountains with me (yes, we went UP a mountain to watch a water sport) recognised that 1 of the Canadians was an Olympic rower or somethin'. Anyways, so Becks managed to win a bronze while I was there & she told me she got another bronze from earlier. She even got 3rd in the Women's 200m heats when I was watching also! (smelling a trend here...) Didn't manage to snatch the bronze off her neck & pretend it was mine. Instead have to settle for her bf delivering the medal to her mum & brother & me snapping a Kodak moment, even though I was using a Canon digicam.

No comments: