Tuesday, January 03, 2006

New Year's Day


Hot 1
Originally uploaded by ragde2507.

Stupidly hot on New Year's Day. After a lovely afternoon at Vaucluse the day before (nice warm weather, cool sea breezes) New Year's Day was inextricably hot. By mid morning it was already well over 40'C outside, with the inside temp approaching the same mark. Our thermometer outside only reads up to 50, & by mid afternoon it was so hot that it exceeded the 50 mark. It wasn't much better inside. It went over 40'C for the first time inside (see below), even though we had all the fans cranking. Alas air-con didn't help much. I'm pretty sure it's at its dyign stage, seeing that 1 of the 2 fans was stationary even though we had it on high, & it didn't really get any cooler anyways. The only bit of significant cooling only came when the cooler night breeze finally came some time after 9pm. I, having spent the day drenched in sweat while watching Hopman Cup on TV & reading HP5 (finally started 5 on Boxing Day after finishing 4 almost FOUR years ago!!) at the same time, resorted to dunking myself into a nice, cool bath in the evening to bring my body temperature back down normal. Luckily yesterday (Jan 2) was signficantly cooler (mid 20s) & so is today (so far). Either way, am indoors in AC-ed office most of the day, so not that big a difference to me :P

Need to seriously put my head down & refocus on doing real work. Have given up on the BOCSAR job that I got interviewed for (have yet to hear about the outcomes, but not very likely a success I'm guessing) so now I can put most of the mental energy back to writing my chapters. Have not done any writing since early Dec, & have forced myself to finish the 1st draft by end of month, so must do some serious refocussing. Otherwise, looking forward to Geelong/Melbourne!!

No comments: