Monday, August 14, 2006

Birthing - didn't even go to lamaze

Finally put my head together & did some writing last night. Late last night though, but it's better than nothing. When I finally had enough, I went back downstairs to clean out my glass before heading to bed. Felt nosy so I turned on the aquarium light & low & behold the pregnant red swordtail that I had separated from the rest of the school into a 'birthing suite' was right in the middle of a birthing session! Seeing that swordtails are livebearers they obviously give birth to fully-grown fries (not the Macca's kind). As I'd never seen that despite the many birthing sessions that they had had this past yr, I proceeded to invade its/her privacy & stayed & watched for a fair few minutes. Every now & then it squirts out a newborn, which was still coated in its egg sac. After a few more seconds, it breaks out of its own egg sac & started swimming freely. A pretty good end to the day, even though technically it was the start of today (12:30-ish)