Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Floored

It's Halloween, the make-believe 'holiday' that celebrates, well, the make-believe. But true to the myth, it has been a rather strange day today. It's phato-essay marking day for this year's 1st year course, and normally these are easy as chips & should be able to chewed thru with no trouble what so ever. it was a 9am start, & because there wasn't really any breakfast at home I got up even earlier so I could stop by Mecca's to pick up a McMuffin & McHash Brown before parking & jumping (literally) onto the express bus. A couple of stops after I got on, this Armani-clad guy (& I don't mean just the suit, it's the whole works, complete with Armani shades & briefcase) got on. By now the bus was already pretty full of ppl express-ing to the city for work, so he had to stand, & he stood not far from where I was sitting (thus I had a good scan of him). As soon as the bus got going again, he pulled out a rosary from his pants pocket & started praying quietly. Because it was peak time trafiic, he had pretty much the whole bus trip (there was an accident on the Gore Hill Freeway so we were delayed even more) which ended up being about an hr & 40 mins long. But I guess stranger things (than praying Armani guys I mean) have happened I suppose.

Then it got worse. The normally easy breezy photo-essay turned out to be a crap bunch this year. The quality of the 1st year essays were simply appaling, with less than a handful (out of 100+ students) really hitting the mark & getting close to 100%. With the bad quality, everyone just slowed right down, feeling horrid for having to read the stupid things & laughing at the outrageousness of what 1st years come up with (my favourite remain the loin-cloth wearing Aboriginals from last year's bunch :D) (for non-Aussies, the funniest part was of course the Austn Aboriginals never wore loin clothes; they went about starkers). It ended up taking the 5 of us 7 hours to go thru the lot, which I'm guessing had a 60% average. Thank God I don't have to do that ever again with me so close to submitting my own piece of sensationalised writing early next year. Oooh, can wait to get that monkey off my back & move right on.

No comments: