Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Melbourne Cup 2006


It was that time of the year again & of course everyone has to have a little bet. I was no exception. It is the only time of the year that I actually gamble (well, apart from the occasional lottery tickets, hee hee), but unlike last year there wasn't a hot HOT favourite like Makybe Diva last year. Not really a horse person myself, I obviously had little/no idea on what to bet on this year. For some reason, Pop Rock stood out, & with my usual tactic of 5-&-5 on 2 horses, I need a second horse. Given that I had pretty good luck with the hot favourite last year I went with the favourite (Tawqeet) at the time. Not that I thought that it would win with that shoe problem, but there was still hope of placing, so I went with it. Back to the office, the office sweeps started going. Not wanting to feel left out, I went in on a couple of bucks as well. & which horses did I get?
Land 'n Stars &, wait for it, Pop Rock! On the tiny, snowy TV in our conference room, we watched the race as we were still dishing out the snacks. Pop Rock, Tawqeet and Land 'n Stars did not feature anywhere in the front pack. Great, $22 down the drain. But wait, it's coming back, it's coming back, it's catching up... Ah crap, half a nose! Bloody Japanese horse Delta Blue won by half a nose over Pop Rock! Well, at least I won some back from TAB & the office sweeps.


Absolutely exhausted right now. Brutal tennis session last night, playing in light drizzle. The balls were so much heavier & so much harder to move around & slide around. Luckily I had 2 leftover bananas when I got home so the recovery session is going well.

Finalising 1st year marks in 1/2 hour. After that am done with teaching. Oh wait, there's still the marking of the 3rd year online tutorials. Hmm, can't wait to get out of here & do some packing that I said I would do last wkend...

No comments: