Thursday, November 16, 2006

Hump day

It’s hump day and, no, there’s no hump in any sense. Right now I’m in the departure lounge of the Sydney International Airport waiting for my flight to Honkers. I’m off for 5 weeks to see family, do yet another wedding (that’s #3 for the year. Thankfully no more for a little while :P), and travel through East Asia for a bit. By East Asia of course I mean only Taipei & Beijing. Got the Taipei trip booked, just need to do my China travel document when I arrive & I can go & book my Beijing trip. Back home in time for another blisteringly hot Xmas. Yes, I’m a sucker for torture :P

Now that I think of it, there was a little hump. Flying Virgin Atlantic for the first time & as I found out they’re not very lenient with the luggage situation. Everyone’s allowed 23kg, but because of the weighty souvenirs & gifts that I’m bringing with me (mostly food – 2 x 3kg tubs of premium honey, a dz of Tim Tams (bar original flavour)) I ended up being overweight (well, my check-in). Also, they have a lower carry on allowance (6kg instead of the normal 8kg), so when I got to the counter I was asked to move some of my carry on into my checked in, which pushed it overweight (I was 26.something to begin with. The move pushed it to 28.something) & they charged my $60 for it!! That’s like half of my TRS gone! Even the old trick of 'but I weigh next to nothing' didn't work. Must stock up on duty free on the way back !?!#(!%*

Great, more humping. We were already on the runway when the captain announced that 1 of the wheels' cap was loose & we had to turn back & have it re-fastened. An hour's delay. That's why I only just arrived an hour late. A quick shower, & it's already 4am Sydney time. Some zzz might do me good.

No comments: