Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Will

What was supposed to be another normal working day turned out to be quite tragic. No doubt the shooting is a bit out of the blue (but then again, it's America, & these kind of things seem to happen quite regularly. At least that's the feeling I get from hearing them on the news.) Anywho, having just finished editing a chapter, I decided that it is definitely time to finally write the will that I have been wanting to write for a couple of years. Not that I'm planning to die any time soon, but me being me (all rigid and pedantic) I would like to know how my things are/will be distributed when I die. Seeing that I've already had more than 2 years to think about how/where things will go, this process of actually writing a will should not take too long. I will be back on chapter-editing duties in no time. First step, though, is to find online a suitable template to copy. Luckily with constant Internet connection these are pretty easy to find (ha! who says the Internet needs a complete overhaul!!). Unfortunately, the Internet being the Internet most of these (free) samples are very American-oriented (there are free, state-by-state templates online) but how exactly will these apply to our Aussie context is a bit of a question mark. Anyways, I'll just list my requests first an see how that goes. As far as I know they don't necessarily have to be notified. Any kind of written document will suffice, i.e. no longer classified as intestate. It doesn't really matter if it is legal anyways just so I know there's a list somewhere of my wishes (I already have Excel lists of my books, CDs, DVDs, and current budget. Pedantic much, right?). Let's see how I go today. [Great, found a site with sample wills for all occasions, except it charges a hell of a lot membership fees! Sticking to the freebies)

Meanwhile, parents going away for 3 months (12 weeks) from next Monday. Will try & have a dinner/games party later next month to kill boredem.

No comments: