Monday, June 04, 2007

Cross breeding


platy swordtail x
Originally uploaded by ragde2507

As most people would know livebearers are pretty easy to breed. I was at this aquarium shop some time ago & the guy told me that it is actually very rare that swordtails & platies cross-breed. Having had both for quite a while, mine cross-breed all the time. A couple of weeks ago I finally managed to find a suitable subtray for my TV-quarium and yesterday I actually put it to use & installed it. I also reorganised the (real & plastic) plants & bubble screen. So, I decided to take more photos & this time focus on the cross-breeds. The 1 shown here is a red swordtail x yellow platy (more photos here). I've had the same cross before but they came out more yellow that than red. That 1 also didn't live as long as its parents (maybe 6-9 months. Can't really remember). The only thing I need now is a more powerful air pump since my current 1 isn't strong enough to work both the airated subtry & my bubble screen (thus lack of bubbles in this pic >_<). I need to go find a cleaner/catfish for the pond out back anyways...


No comments: