Monday, June 11, 2007

Long weekend: sleep late, get up later

It's the Queen's birthday long weekend here in Aus. Saturday was also the night of my wii/dinner/games small-scale party. I've been preparing for this party for a little bit, cleaning & shopping all week long to get ready the house (like cleaning out my bookcase & changing the displays from softtoys to rubber duckies which used to hide in my wardrobe), games & food. I had to make last minute changes (from salad to roast veg) too as the forecast was downpour & cold (which it was). Ppl filed in from 5-ish (after the Swans win!) & the long games-feast lasted till half past midnight. It was great fun. We played wii for hours , chowed down on home-made pizzas, risottos, roast veg & soup (I forgot to take pics...) & then finished the night with pictionary (I won of course, ha ha). The house is still smelling like daffodils & jonquils from my flower displays. Hmm, spring... I've prepared so much food we're still eating leftovers almost 2 days later.

It was also the French Open finals weekend & needless to say we stayed up to watch. How can you not when such histories were on the line? We only caught the last game of the women's final because we were playing pictionary but the men's final we watched every point from start to finish. As (I) predicted it was a close 4 sets win to Nadal. Federer was simply too inconsistent & stubborn for this match. The history probably also got to him a bit too I suspect. He may have a better chance next year, but I think it'd have to come at a cost of not just not winning the US Open this yr but not making the US final also. Why not the US you ask? At present he is already setting records left & right for most consecutive grand slam finals, & with Wimbledon just around the corner that record no doubt will be stretched to 9 in a roll (& very likley 5th straight title). If he is to go on to win the calendar grand slam in 2008, it would mean 14 finals in a roll. Simply too much historic pressure. Having missed the US final, however, would mean a clean fresh start in 2008. By that time he should also have settled into the new coaching arrangements whatever they may be. So, that's my prediction. Let's see how that play out. I did get the women's final wrong though - I thought it would be 2 close sets to Henin rather than 2 easy ones.

Finishing my readings today & will start on assignments marking this week. Need to write out how I plan to inject exclusion/abjection theories into my thesis also... sigh...

3 comments:

Bex said...

i didn't know you collected rubber duckies! Do you have the whole 'room' collection?

ragdE said...

I started collecting rubber duckies about 2 yrs ago from when i was in Oslo. what do u mean 'room' collection? i don't have that much on display except the ducks & the monkees. Most snoopys & all trolls are now in hiding. Most shelves r taken up by books & boxed up things

Unknown said...

Love your collection of rubber ducks!