Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Do I look like a chum to you?

I happens to me ALL THE TIME. No matter where I am, I always get asked direction. It's ok if I know the place (say, here in Sydney) but not if literally I get asked EVERYWHERE. Why am I bringing this up now? 'Cos I got asked again, not once but twice, today. First time was when I was walking from where I parked to work. It wasn't so much getting asked directions but an old lady asked me to bring her wheely bin back from the side of the road. Not that I minded terribly, but senile old her didn't remember which bin was hers (there were 4 there) so I had to bring all of them back in before she realised that the 1st 1 was actually hers. Never mind that. The 2nd time was just now, on my way back from lunch this new migrant asked me while pointing to a (small) church if that was the railway station. Granted, she looked like a recent migrant who spoke in a very heavy (south american) accent so she probably hadn't much idea of what Parramatta station is supposed to look like (it was another 2 minutes walk away), but a church? Anywho, that brings me back into think all the times that I have been asked directions, & in odd places. Like 'recently' when I was in Taipei, I was in 西門町 & was asked by (in Mandarin) a man for directions. I hadn't even been in the city for 2 days by that stage!! SanFran, HK (who'd think I know how to give directions there wouldn't you...), NY... Been asked, been asked, been asked, and needless to say, wouldn't have a clue where to tell them to go (If I was any ruder I'd have somewhere to tell them to go to, but I'm not :P). Story of my life, always a shepherd (who doesn't know his own way, ha ha!). That brings me to the question then, do I look like a chum to you? For those who don't know/remember what I look like, a recent photo may help answer that question.

No comments: