Saturday, March 22, 2008

破戒

Some of you might know but I quit tuna about 7 years ago because the harvesting processes are quite harmful to many seabirds, including one of my favourites - the albatross. Anywho, so since quitting seabirds I've only ever eaten tuna when there was absolutely no other choice, i.e., when tuna casserole was the only thing on offer when dinner-ing at a friend's. So far, I’ve managed to be force fed it about 4 times in the last 7 years, & the last time I ate tuna was probably 2 years ago. If you could read the headlines then you probably would've guessed what I did - yes, I ate tuna, not once but twice this week. Here's the story: after my usual UTS class Wednesday morning I head to lunch before going off to do my various things. Because I was heading back to UNSW to pick-up/drop-off a few things I didn't have my laptop with me. Otherwise I'd just eat & then hide in the UTS library for the rest of the afternoon (why the heck am I still not able to connect to the UTS wireless???) Anyways, so I headed up Market City & because it was quite a hot day I needed a cool lunch - sushi. Bought my sushi box & then I found it - a cooked tuna roll hidden in the middle of it all. Too hungry, so I ate it & quickly washed it down with some Powerade. Then yesterday we came back from a big shop at Flemington &, what was for lunch you say? Prawns, rolls, & tuna sashimi. I seriously wasn't going to eat the sashimi so the thoughts just raced thru my mind - it's bad for the birds, but they're not farmed so they're healthier fish than salmon, etc - before deciding to, yes, eat it. They're nothing like I remembered (mind you, I haven't had tuna sashimi for like 9-10 years). Maybe it just wasn't that terrific grade toro that I last had (this 1 was more pink-ish than maroon) so it was relatively tasteless & the flesh was rather, umm, 'coarse'. Nowhere near as soft & oily as salmon. What are the implications for all these then? The last few times that I ate tuna (& veal) I would donate some $$ to WSPA to kinda wash the 'guilt' away so I guess I'll be looking up what one off donation projects they have in the next few days & figure that 1 out.

More on breaking rules. Was at Flemington Markets yesterday & to my surprise I saw a few plants of water hyacinth on sale at the pet stall. I actually looked all over for it when I was setting up the backyard water feature & hunting for plants to populate it. All I managed to find was websites that says water hyacinth are prohibitied from sale in most Australian states despite I found many healthy specimens floating on the water feature outside the McLeish vineyard in the Hunters. Apparently they are considered weeds because they can grow out of control quite easily --> smother our waterways etc. But as my water feature is very self-contained & not lead to any aqua thoroughfare I think it's pretty safe to have them. Their purple flowers are simply amazing. I saw them in bloom outside 中正紀念堂 when I was in Taipei. Let's see how mine will now do.

Meanwhile, Easter Games Nite is tomorrow!! I have my bunny ears ready & all though the idea of games nite is getting a bit tired & old seeing that the 1 with the new game (PS3) may not even show up. What to do, what to do, what to do?

No comments: