Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Gyllenhaal week

It's a very heavily Gyllenhaal week, & it's only Wednesday. Jake, not Maggie. The week after the Oscars (last wk) left me deeply depressed. Not entirely to do with the unsatifactory results (4 films got 3 each, how bizzarre was that!?!), but a combination of feeling sad after having read various versions of Brokeback numerous times (at last count, downloaded version: 1; book version (same as downloaded version): 1; production screenplay: 1; original New Yorker version: 1; various parts of the story plus various, 'important' scenes: lost count), my own inability to write my chapter (spent 4 freaking days writing 1 opening paragraph, pulling it apart, telling myself that I suck in this, etc) before finally turning around & managed to move on & get writing again. And so my Gyllenhaal week started. Good writing/editing Monday morning before meeting with supervisor. Great progress, & got myself mentally refocussed for a bit. Afterwards, skipped straight to the city & watched Brokeback Mountain again, 1st movie that I've seen in a cinema twice. I was willing to gamble my sanity away (been totally obsessed with Brokeback since end of Jan (read above). Watching it for the 2nd time was either going to bring closure on that obsession & get me back to 'normal' life, or continue my obsession). Still excellent as ever (ok, so it was the latter of the outcomes), which prompted me to go home & re-read some of the scenes again. Seriously, everytime I read it, & I've read it many times (read above, again) I find something that I failed to notice before. Must find way of ending obsession. Anyhow, back to work yesterday. While waiting for comp to do complicated graphic generations, started reading original New Yorker version of Brokeback. Didn't manage to finish it at work, and after tennis last night, finally finished reading it past 1:30 this morning. Combined with the drizzly humid weather last night, the late sleep (plus lack of sleep from pervious days) completely exhausted me, resulting in a 10-hr coma & not getting up until nearly midday (thank god was not going to go anywhere today). Attempted to write a bit, but recovery from tennis was going much slower than normal, which distracted me a lot. Decided to skip writing & went to watch Jarhead instead (thus continuation of Gyllenhaal week). A very good film that exposed the inhumanities & frivolity of war. Highly recommend it. The ending was a bit abrupt after the end of the war (oh come on, it was Gulf War I, every one knows how it ended!!), leaving the characters hanging a bit, particularly Swoff/Gyllenhaal. But otherwise, mighty gd film. Might try & catch more of others by end of March before discount ends. Already done Match Point lastMmonday, so will see about Capote, Rent and/or Transamerica.

Heavy social calendar coming right up. Groomsman duties officially begun last saturday when I went to a dance lesson & learned to cha cha. More to come this Sat, but before that, there's the fitting coming up tomorrow night, & being left in charge for booking rental car for the big day. Trish's graduation is also on thursday night next week, followed by Karen's PhD submission party on Friday. Might see about Easter Show early April as well. Chockers.

No comments: