Sunday, July 23, 2006

B'day feast #2

My actual b’day is not for another 2 days & so far I’ve had a pretty good pre-b’day wkend. Let’s have a quick mental re-cap:

Finally finished re-writing my methodology chapter of Friday & started working on the banana article with typing up potent quotables from a big book. Anyhow, dinner at the Fung’s & finally a game of mah jong since the World Cup has come & gone. Rotten luck though, didn’t even ‘eat’ 1 game! ‘Called’ many times, but did not ‘eat’, sigh… Finished the day off with more quote typing & a few comp games.

Saturday was a whole new ball game. The re-re-scheduled ramen outing finally happened even though it wasn’t completely hitch-less. With petrol prices so high I opted to bus into the city instead, which meant that I was there ½ hr early. Despite that, Ichiban-Boshi at Town Hall still had a line of 5 deep & because there were 7 of us we needed to wait extra long for a big table. Luckily Anne was there even earlier than I was & she put her more than fluent Japanese skills to great use by sweet-talking the waitress into seating us at a big table instead of splitting us into 2 tables of 3 & 4 (there was only 1 table big enough for up to 8 in the whole premise). People arrived at various level of tardiness because of the anti-war protest down George St right outside & they closed the City Circle train stations for maintenance work. Quick orders & very lovely presents. Adding to what I got last wk at Clem/Gek’s I got:

  1. a bottle of South Australian white
  2. a Japanese paper photo album
  3. book voucher for much needed books
  4. a swag of Snoopy products that can’t be bought here in Aus, including coin purse, mobile decorations, notebook, & towelette among other things

Spoilt I am I tells’ya. Spoilt. Ended day with a Swans game (watched at home & not at SCG), fabulous (& much needed) win, more quote typing & comp games.

Set alarm for 9am to be ready for movie down at Towers but decided to turn it off at 9 & continued zzz-ing until ¼ to 11 when I suddenly woke up, saw the time, & rushed out of home for the 11am session. Luckily there was no queue at the Tower side (as always) & we got there for Superman Returns with a little bit of time to spare. No brekkie though, only the green tea that I managed to grab on my way out. So FREAKIN’ long it was! And so S-L-O-W…… Rather implausible beginning, the plot just became very predictable as it went on. It was an ok movie nonetheless, I’ve seen worse. Kate Bosworth simply didn’t look scared enough, & Brandon Routh was, well, wooden/steel-ly. Good thing he looked so much like the original then. Wonder if the Superman curse will befall on this lot (Chris (& Dana) Reeve dead, Margot Kidder (original Lois Lane) institutionalised)

Start of Session 2 & am teaching FOUR tuts this time to reap in some $$ for lack of scholarship & upcoming weddings. Still no word on how I can change my enrolment to part-time. Damn university administration so slow!

No comments: